Thursday, March 28, 2013

Where am I? What am I doing here?

Let me introduce myself. My name is not important. My job is not important. Most things about me are not important. However, I'll tell you a few things about myself anyway.

I'm an American who decided to brave life outside of the cozy confines on the US for a while. For me, life in America had become a bit of a drag. I've worked in IT for the better part of two decades, and I decided a few years back that I needed to shake a few things up. Years ago, I somehow came across the blog of a fellow who taught English in Russia for almost an entire decade. Also, a good friend of mine had spent a number of years teaching English in Japan. Back during those days, I figured that doing such an exotic (and shitty) job was merely just a dream, while I toiled away in my dreary cubicle and dreamt of foreign lands (and women).

Fast forward a few years. I ended up finding myself in a very bad place, both mentally and physically. I resorted to my last option, which was to move back in with my parents, and spent the next several years recovering from my numerous failures in life. During that time, I set a goal for myself. I wanted to do something with my life, something that would be interesting and fun, and take me out of my comfort zone.

The dreams of living in a foreign land and fucking foreign women came flooding back. I decided to work on climbing out of debt and despair, and completed a certification course for teaching English. I looked for English teaching jobs online, and found the website of a language school in Ukraine. I corresponded with the owner of the school, got advice on how to prepare for the job, and then set about getting myself ready.

After almost two full years of hard work, here I am. I'm living in southern Ukraine, in a city that shall remain nameless, and I'm now teaching English for a pittance of a salary. And yes, I'm also fucking foreign women. Or "woman", I should say, but more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment